Egypt’s ruling Supreme Council of the Armed Forces (SCAF) says it’s putting an end to the state of emergency in the country after it has been in force for 31 years.
SCAF said the state of emergency, which has been in place without interruption since the assassination of President Anwar Sadat in 1981, is due to expire at midnight on Thursday.
The state of emergency has been enforced under the country’s emergency law which has governed Egypt since 1967. It gives authorities extensive powers to suspend basic rights including by enabling them to detain people indefinitely without charge, banning protests, and enforcing media censorship.
The Junta also said it will “continue to carry its national responsibility in protecting the country until the transfer of power is over.”
In January, the head of SCAF, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, partially eased the state of emergency except in the cases of “thuggery,” the term the generals use to justify the crackdown on protesters who want an end to military rule.
The state of emergency was a key feature under the former Western-backed dictator Hosni Mubarak, who was ousted in a popular revolution last year.
The decision to lift the state of emergency comes at a sensitive time as Egypt is preparing for a run-off vote in the presidential elections which will be held on June 16 -17, between Mubarak’s last premier, Ahmed Shafiq and Muslim Brotherhood candidate Mohammed Morsi. More to read on: www.presstv.ir